Today our friend Julie came over after work to hang out and play with babies. Julie herself is 8 months pregnant and loves her some babies so we are a great place to come a get a fix. So the three of us sat (me, Jules and Court) and the babies played on the floor. Jolene was discovering the fun of packing paper while Amelia was engrossed by standing at the window. Girl has croup right now and has not seen the outside world in a few days, she is now pulling up on everything and was in awe of the view at 2.5 ft.
We're chatting about what Julie is in for when she asks..."What do y'all do all day?" A legitimate question right? I'm stunned? What did I do today? I felt like the whole day was gone and I couldn't remember what I was doing while time passed. There were things I planned to do, and some were done, the rest we're half done.
What I did today:
*I reheated my coffee 4 times, I eventually just put ice, a little soy milk and chai in it (which is what happens when its noon and I'm still not finished drinking it)
*Put a bra under the shirt I slept in and exchanged boxers for a pair of jeans.
*I probably did the dishes and watch Court do them (we are convinced dishes are capable of reproduction)
*I swept under the highchair at least 3 times
*checked my email (nothing interesting except Abby's spam and emails from Joe Biden, how he got my address I am unsure, but I'm sure he has better things to do. Joe if you read my blog as well you should know I just delete them and you are cluttering my inbox)
*did some laundry (sort of: does dying onsies and trying to get stained clothes clean count)
*I stopped Amelia at least a dozen times on her quest to knock out her teeth. She is determined to pull up on moving things (girl likes a challenge).
* I rearranged some furniture
*Played the drums on an empty formula can with Amelia
*Cleaned toys
*read books that have no more than 5 words to a page
Lets see its easier to think about what I didn't do:
*shower (definitely didn't do that today), maybe didn't even brush my teeth
*I probably didn't get out of my pj's till after 12
maybe tomorrow
I've been convicted to use my time better. I am very thankful for this time that have at home with Amelia and realize I may not always have it. So I'm going to keep myself accountable to not be lazy (especially with my parenting). My goal is to engage Amelia better in simple meaningful activities, she is an active child and I realize I need to do a better job stimulating her and me, I only have 30 plastic bins of early childhood education materials. And learn all the things I said I would do if I had the time (like sewing, freezer paper stenciling, knitting). I dont plan on making any large changes, like showering daily but some baby steps would do me good.


2 comments:
morgan...you crack me up.
seriously..you are a funny writer.
you really are morgan. this melissa girl knows what she is talking about. and the sahm thing is, like, hard. ashley, my friend from lubbock and i were talking about that. how that question really is asked pretty often and, if you are a sahm then you never know the answer. its crazy. and its hard because even to ourselves, though we value so much what we are doing, have a hard time justifying what we did that day as enough or good. wish we were neighbors and could play at each others houses everyday and you could teach me how to be creative. love you.
Post a Comment